Friday, April 9, 2010

Mission Accomplished

Before spring break I set myself the goal of finishing the 3 newest books I have purchased -- Fang, by James Patterson, This World We Live In, by Susan Beth Pfeffer, and Lockdown, by Walter Dean Myers. I finished those and they are all great. I will be donating them to Lakeview. I also finished what I call my purse book because I like to carry a book in my purse so I have something to read if I get stuck in a line or have to wait. I have been carrying with me The Mayor of Central Park, by Avi all through March. It is a fun book. Set in the year 1900, Oscar Westerwit, a squirrel, considers himself the mayor of all the animals in Central Park in New York City. He also considers himself an excellent baseball player and a wannabe actor in musical theater. Oscar's problems begin with the disappearance of his team's pitcher (and the best player on the team). Problems explode when Big Daddy Duds and his gun-toting rat thugs decide to move into Central Park and take it over. Baseball, romance, and war fill the pages of this delightful comedy. Sometimes it hard to remember that the characters are all animals. They walk , talk, and think like humans!

No comments: