Friday, September 5, 2014

MORE SUMMER READING

Yes, I have a few more of my summer reading books this week. One is a book already in the IMC collection and the other is new and still getting ready for the shelf.

The older book is Paranormalcy by Kiersten White, a book I have been wanting to read. Evie lives with and works for the ALCA (American Paranormal Containment Agency) because she has the ability to see through the glamour of creatures like vampires and shape-shifters. Her job is to track down these creatures and contain them in a way so that they cannot harm humans. Life is treating pretty well until Lend, a shape-shifter, sneaks into Agency headquarters. Evie finds herself falling for Lend which becomes a big problem when headquarters come under attack by unknown paranormals. Can Evie save her friends at headquarters and be with boy she really likes?

The Darkest Path by Jeff Hirsch is a dystopian story set in a future United States that is torn by civil war. Part of the country wants to maintain the social and political system we have today, the other part follows the Glorious Path, one man's vision of how the country should be. Into this armed conflict come Cal and his younger brother James. Cal does not like the direction the Glorious Path is taking to win the war and wants to take James, escape, and return to their home in the traditional US. But James agrees with the Glorious Path and stays. Cal is now on his own as he tries to avoid the armies of both sides and find his way home.

Lastly, I wanted to read The Giver by Lois Lowry again before I went to see the movie version. I'm very glad I did! Some things in the movie were the same as the book and some details were different. I even heard dialog in the movie that came right out of the book. I loved the visual representation of Jonas's city in the movie. Some other movie items I wasn't sure why they were changed from the book. Still, I think the movie and the book are great and should both be enjoyed.

No comments: