Friday, September 30, 2011

WILD THINGS

On Mrs. Wilson's recommendation I read Clay Carmichael's Wild Things as my next choice from the 2012 Rebecca Caudill nominee list. It seemed strange to start a book with the thoughts of a cat, but as I read further I found that I looked forward to the chapters told by the cat. I like the cat's voice! The story is about a girl Zoe who lived her first eleven years with a mom who had mental problems and a variety of stepdads. When Mom dies, Zoe goes to live with her step-uncle who was a famous heart surgeon and is now a sculptor in metal. The uncle's house is out in the country next to a forest that holds secrets. As Zoe explores the area and her relationship with her uncle, the neighbors, and the townspeople, she begins to unravel many of these secrets. The "wild things" in the story are sometimes unexpected, the title definitely fits.

No comments: