Friday, April 8, 2011

New Career Books

Just before spring break I received information about a wonderful deal on books from a new company consolidating several publisher whose books I have bought in the past. With the 7th grade career project starting after break, I took advantage of this deal to order 50 new career books and 2 new career encyclopedias. Fortunately the books arrived over spring break and 7th grade students are using these books for their research. In order to make at least some of the new books available for check-out, I added them to the automation system by a procedure called catalog-on-the-fly. This process allows me to enter the minimum amount of information about the book into the automation. Then Mrs. Wilson processed the books to a shelf-ready status. The books were posted and ready to check out. Later I can go back to these records and fully catalog the books for next year's research. The students have found these new books very helpful in their research. The new career encyclopedias are Career Discovery Encyclopedia (copyright 2009) and Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance (copyright 2011). The other books come from two series -- Careers in Focus and What Can I Do Now? All of the books have copyright dates no older than 2005. I was able to purchase a wide range of careers so that we have almost meet everyone's needs.

No comments: