Friday, February 20, 2009

Black HIstory - Part 3

In the last section of my Black History Month bibliography, I focus on African Americans of the twentieth century and beyond. For the students this is the most recognizable section for the biographies and stories are the ones they know, some even from their lifetime. Among the nonfiction I especially like our book on the Harlem Globetrotters which covers their history and several famous players. I was likely enough to see the Globetrotters in person in college and thoroughly enjoyed the show. Since baseball is my favorite sport, I enjoyed the book Baseball at War; World War II and the Fall of the Color Line. Here you can learn about baseall in the 1940s including Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak, the famous world series between the Yankes and the Dodgers, the career of Jackie Robinson, as well as the effect of World War II on the sport.

In the biography section we have books on famous African Americans from all walks of life - from the political to the entertainment world, from musicians to athletes. In particular I remember the book A Strong Right Arm, the Story of Mamie "Peanut" Johnson. This book was a Caudill nominee a few years ago, but it created a lasting impression with me. Mamie was determined to be a professional baseball player and tried out for every all-male, all-white team until she realized her dream as one of only three women to play in the Negro Leagues. What courage for such a petite lady!

Among the fiction there is no doubt that my favorite book is Willie Bea and the Time the Martians Landed, by Virginia Hamilton. The story takes place in October, 1938, on an Ohio farm. It centers on the eventful radio broadcast of the "War of the Worlds" led by Orson Welles. I have always been fascinated by the panic that resulted from this broadcast and over the years have read and researched a lot. Hamilton in her book shows that the panic was not restricted to the east coast. Even in the midwest people were frightened by the thought that Martians had invaded the earth!

I hope over these last few weeks you have read about some Black History book that sounded interesting and have come to the IMC to check it out. Next week I will return to highlighting our new books.

No comments: