Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween One and All

This week I am taking a break from new books to tell you about my favorite Halooween stories. I am a big fan of Edgar Allan Poe's short stories - both his mysteries and his horror stories. Many years ago I had heard a recording of "The Telltale Heart" that really scared me. As the tension grows in this story about servant who kills his master, dismembers the body, and hides the pieces under the floor, a steady heartbeat grows louder and louder in the background of the storyteller. It is the same heartbeat that the killer hears leading to his confession. For many years I remembered that recording, but couldn't find it. There were many wonderful recordings of the story, but none had the beating heart sound. Finally I stumbled across another recording of Poe short stories -- and there was "The Telltale Heart" with the beating heart. Every Halloween I play the recording just to get in the mood.


My other favorite Poe horror story is "A Cask of Amontillado." The whole idea of being walled up - buried alive - sends chills down my spine. One of the best questions asked about that story is does the criminal get away with his crime. The answer lies in the three Latin words at the end of the story. The Lakeview IMC has several collections that include these great classic horror stories. Read them aloud on a dark and stormy night to get the full flavor of Poe's genius. Have a great Halloween.!

No comments: